Transformers: Matrices & Graphs!
Give your children the true power of math–with a pencil and some graph paper!
Transforming shapes makes math happen right before your eyes! When your child actually sees math in action, it can transform their attitude and understanding of math. Usually this type of math is reserved for a quick visit in high school or college algebra, but Don Cohen has made it delightfully fun to play around with graphs and matrices!
Transformers camp will introduce students to math in a different way–through matrices and graphs. The well-known Don Cohen wrote a book called Changing Shapes with Matrices. He called it, “A book for ages 7 to adult – for people into computer graphics, morphs, how living things differ in shape, or just in the fun and power of being able to change a 2-D shape, oneself, quickly and easily.” Twenty years ago, Don’s work was one of the inspirations for starting Natural Math.
When your child joins this camp, they’ll make new friends that like math, too! They’ll discover that math is more broad than they may have supposed, and you’ll be able to rest assured knowing they are learning even more than they realize, all from the comfort of your own home!
What will children learn?
- They will do a lot of arithmetic without really thinking about it.
- They will be encouraged to look for and predict patterns.
- They will learn coordinates (Cartesian geometry).
- They will learn what a matrix is and how to multiply a matrix by another matrix.
- They will learn how matrices underlie programming and graphics.
- They will be able to think about how transformations happen in nature.
- They will enjoy the chance to visualize math in action!
- (Psst! It’s Linear Algebra but we don’t like to call it that!)
How it works
Your child logs into a live online class each day during camp. We meet and try out the activities using an interactive whiteboard and pencil and graph paper. It’s a fun, interactive hour of math each day! You’ll receive a PDF of the book Don wrote, so that you can revisit these activities again and again.
- What: One week daily, live online, math camp.
- Why: This class is a fun way to learn about matrices, graphing, coordinates, and more!
- Who: Children ages 9-15, (parents welcome!) with Shelley Nash as organizer.
- When: Next Session Feb 27-Mar 3, 8:30pm EST
- Where: Online video-talk software Zoom (similar to Skype)
- Price: Registration is $75 per family. Includes a PDF copy of the booklet. Bring a friend and save! (Email us after your friend registers. Include their name and email, and you’ll both get 10% off.)
- Supplies: Pencil, graph paper, calculator.
Are you ready to give your child a taste of the transforming power of math? Sign up today before classes fill up!
Questions before you sign up? Email Shelley at email@example.com. Share this opportunity with a friend!
Shelley Nash is the mom of seven amazing and challenging kids ages 15 to 3. For over 20 years, she has been driven by an insatiable desire to understand learning, education, education’s role in our society and personal development, and the role of technology in learning. She is passionate about letting children own their education and learning, and about discovering the elements that inspire learning in all of us. She currently leads two online math circles and loves her work at NaturalMath.com and as a mother. She has been leading online math courses, circles, and workshops for 2 years and has taught online for homeschoolers for almost 5 years. She loves the interaction with the students and families that she gets to have through Natural Math!
We embrace all the principles of Natural Math in our online circle. Especially Adventure, and Bridges!
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or ask in comments to this page.
- Connection and devices: you will need fast internet to watch and listen. It’s better to have a microphone and a webcam so you can show and tell as well, but you can also use text chat. We recommend larger screens rather than phones.
- Software: Zoom is a tool for talking, like Skype or Google Hangouts. Please download and try it, here: https://zoom.us/test The same page has the link to a tech support center, in case you need it.
- Recording: The meetings will be available to course participants as YouTube videos.